Apply now for street parties to celebrate the King’s Coronation

Street party road closures for the Coronation


Central Bedfordshire Council is encouraging residents to apply now for street parties to celebrate the King’s coronation.

Anyone wanting to close a road for a street party will need to apply to us at  by 20th March 2023. Please use the TTRO Application form_ attached and send with a clearly marked map showing exact extents of the closure.

Recognising the social and community benefits of celebrating this historic event, we have decided to waive the usual road closure fees in hope of encouraging as many people as possible to take up the opportunity to celebrate this momentous occasion.

“Street parties are a fantastic way of bringing communities together and we want to make it as easy as possible for residents to organise their own local events, which is why we’ve decided to waive the fees for street parties to celebrate the coronation.

“We want to make sure that our residents can have a fun and memorable weekend, and I’d encourage everyone to speak to their neighbours about organising street parties and apply for a street party road closure as soon as possible.”


There are differences for each street party depending on the size. The basic rule is that they’re not disruptive, they’re small scale and they’re free to attend.

Here are some specific conditions:

  • Emergency service vehicles always need access.
  • Disabled drivers must be able to access disabled parking bays.
  • You’ll need to speak to residents who will be affected by the road closure to make sure they haven’t got any objections.
  • You can only apply to close the same section of road once a year.
  • Road closures will only be effective when signs are in place.
  • All rubbish must be cleared up.
  • You can’t damage the road surface.
  • Signs need to be clearly visible to all road users.
  • If you want to sell alcohol or food, you need authorisation from your local authority.
  • You can’t charge people to attend the event.
  • Music shouldn’t disrupt local residents.
  • If the street party is to be held on a bus route then they may incur a charge.
  • The event can’t be publicised, advertised or opened to the wider public.


Skip to content